What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a clear, odorless and tasteless gas. It’s created by incomplete fuel combustion often caused by a lack of oxygen. In your home, appliances that rely on natural gas, charcoal, wood or kerosene are at risk. Especially if they are not operating properly or have been installed incorrectly.

Vehicle exhaust fumes from neighboring garages, as well as poorly operating fireplaces can also produce carbon monoxide. CO is toxic to the body and is deadly at high levels or with extended exposure.