Each year over 20,000 people end up in the emergency room due to carbon monoxide poisoning. This odorless and colorless gas is referred to as the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, according to the CDC, is given off by gas ranges, furnaces, fireplaces, stoves, and boilers so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning rises during the winter months when people are trying to keep their homes heated. To help keep you safe, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with a few tips to safety heat your home.
- Put in a CO detector on all floors of your home and change the batteries yearly.
- Keep all possible sources of combustion, such as clothing, rugs, or bedding, a distance over three feet away from furnaces, space heaters, fire places, or stoves.
- Before lighting a fire in the fireplace, make sure you check to confirm the chimney damper is open and unclogged.
- Do not leave portable heaters or fireplaces neglected. Turn off space heaters and confirm all embers in the fireplace are fully extinguished before going to bed or leaving home.
- Space heaters should always be situated on the floor, and on a hard, incombustible surface, like porcelain tile. Keep children and pets away from space heaters.
- When investing in a new space heater, purchase a model that turns off automatically if the heater tumbles over.
- Never use a oven to increase the temperature in your home.
- Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and gas or oil furnaces professionally checked and cleaned annually.
The ideal thing you can do for your heating system is to be sure it’s not only ready to keep your family warm all winter but also safe, is to schedule your furnace tune-up. During your fall tune-up, Service Experts will check to make sure your furnace is operating safely with a total multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 330-235-1260 today and learn how you can save on a fall tune-up through November 25th.