Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other space to your house, being cozy in your new area year-round is key. However, they can create a unique situation for comfort. This is since adding ductwork is costly. And that your heating and cooling system may not be able to handle the higher load, as it was sized without considering the addition.
One of the most cost-effective possibilities is to install a mini-split. This system offers energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork needed. Learn more about mini-splits and how installing one in your addition might be a fantastic solution.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Heat and Cool
A ductless mini-split, because they’re much like ducted heat pumps that have been used in southern climates for decades.
Heat pumps are extremely energy efficient since they transfer heat to make your addition cozier. In reality, many have reached ENERGY STAR® certification, which may make you eligible for extra rebates and reduce your utility bills for many years.
Another special feature includes zoned heating and cooling. Because each room usually has its own indoor unit, you can set your preferred temperature from room to room. For example, a mini-split AC is especially helpful if you have a room with specific temperature needs, like a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Space
Getting a mini-split system is worth it for spaces that lack ductwork. Here are a couple reasons why it’s wiser than installing ductwork and relying on your current heating and cooling system.
- Installing ductwork is pricey. Extending ductwork in your new addition can add up quickly. Although the total amount will depend on your house, it run thousands of dollars.
- Your present home comfort system could become stressed. When your current heating and cooling system was chosen, it was based on the square footage of your house in advance of the addition. This can overwhelm your system and make it fail faster.
- Your comfort could be affected. As your heating and cooling system is sized for precise square footage, your comfort might be reduced if your system is forced to cover a wider area. Your heating and cooling might be less powerful, and your utility costs could increase as a result of the system needing to operate more often.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Install
Like more common systems, mini-splits are available in various sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most popular sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you work with our Experts at Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we’ll help you get the proper size for your new area. And your wallet.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can create sizable energy savings over its lifetime, which can be 20 years or greater when adequately serviced. ENERGY STAR says getting one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, when compared to an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning for Your Mini-Split Installation
From addressing all your questions and helping you choose the right model to providing Expert mini-split installation, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning can accommodate all your mini-split needs. If you’re planning a home addition or recently wrapped one up, we can provide assistance. Reach us at 330-235-1260 today to request a free consultation and estimate.